Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 83

Mellons


The first watermellon for the season, third rockmellon. They were not ripe when I cut them open. I am still not sure how to tell when to pick them.

Dinner for the Chans



Our neighbours Lucy and Kevin just added beautiful baby Kai to their family, so I made them dinner as part of  the traditional Baby dinner roster for the first post natal weeks.
Spanikopita made with silver beet, ruby chard, yellow chard, Alexandrina fetta, chook co-op eggs, herbs from garden, and pastry made with olive oil and egg. The salad has a dressing made with egg, olive oil, local Honey Lady honey, and Newman's horse radish. (normally I put copious garlic in the spinach pie and dressing, but omitted it this time as it's not good for baby burps)

I was in a flap because I had run out of butter, and I wanted to make pastry for the pie, ( Last year I would have used frozen pastry from Victoria) but I found this great recipie.

Olive Oil Pastry Recipie

1 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large beaten egg

Combine flour & salt in food processor & pulse. Add olive oil & pulse 2-3 seconds. Add 1 tablespoon of water & beaten egg & process for 10 seconds till crumbly & moist. Remove dough, do not nead, wrap in plastic film & put in fridge for 30 mins to rest. *this is important to relax the gluten that can make the dough tough & chewy. Roll out cooled dough to use as required.



The Chan's desert - 1/2 our prize rockmellon

Pesto making





had lots of basil in the garden going to flower, so add almonds, olive oil, & garlic

And my new friend, Murray Valley Parmesan Cheese, and salt, and presto - yummy Pesto.
I put it into small jars and into the freezer, defrosting as I need. It's great to always have it on hand. I use it on toast for breakfast, on pasta, and in pasta sauces.

No comments:

Post a Comment