Monday, March 15, 2010

Day 74 - March 15th 2010

Breakfast
Pancakes for Sunday Breakfast, but not enough bacon to go round, so I invented pancakes with apple and bacon, fry bacon first, chop into strips, throw into pancake batter with chopped apple, and fry as usual. I used the fat from the bacon left in frypan, made delicious pancakes, and no arguing over who had more or less bacon.....nice.



Orchard harvest
EcoVillage orchard harvest, we went for a walk around the village (with a basket) on Saturday evening and found almonds, figs, and a couple of peaches. The almonds were very easy to peel with fingers, no nut cracker required, and very tasty. The figs were sweet, purple/red and soft inside, quite unappealing on the outside, they don't look ripe because they're green.


We took this offering along to our neighbourhood group meeting on Sunday.


Rockmellon
I just found this beauty this morning hiding under a huge mass of rocket, it is the largest rockmellon I have ever grown, even bigger than I have seen in the supermarket. I am so proud.



Garden harvest
Today's garden harvest, another huge zucchini that was hiding under a leaf, self sown potatoes, also the largest I've ever grown, a cauliflower left over from last spring/winter, beetroot, capsicum, tomato, and another rockmellon, this one had been munched by slugs and milipedes, how opportunistic are they? As soon as there is a bit of moisture around, in they go, needless to say, my other mellons are now safely resting on the timber edges of the raised beds. I am going to try the large zucchini in dehydrator after salting it to see if salt sticks and adds flavour to the dried zucchini chips.

Garlic
Beautiful Australian Purple Garlic from Fleurieu Garlic of the Willunga Farmer's Market
If you email fleurieugarlic@bigpond.com  you can order your own wonderful Garlic and a cool gadget for making peeling the garlic much, much easier

Above is the very cool Easy Garlic Peeler made of silicone - mine is a bit mis-shapen because I put it in the dishwasher!


garlic goes in one end with skin on


A quick roll back and forth, and Ta Da....


Clean skin garlic in seconds!


Baking
Yes I took pity on the boy and baked for the lunch box Muffins with the last frozen raspberries, and scones ( the ones that look more like biscuits) with Paris Creek cheese, garlic chives and parsley from garden




Parmesan cheese ?
I have been missing Parmesan cheese on my pasta, and then I found this Romano at the Singing Cricket food  Co-op in Willunga. It is not as dry as Parmesan, very salty, not as strong a flavour, but a pretty good substitute. It melts more like a cheddar though and clumps together. I later found a Murray Valley Parmesan at Seaford Foodland. I will try this next time.




Dinner Tonight
Tonights dinner, I am pretty pleased to say that it is completely local, and more than that, it is all home grown except for the Fleurieu fetta in the beetroot salad, and the pork from Kuitpo. The rockmellon complimented the pork surprisingly well, and Aarod said it was the best meal he had enjoyed in a long time. (probably had a lot to do with the chips) I found tonight that they cooked quite well shallow fried in cold pressed olive oil. I wouldn't usually use olive oil for frying, but as it is the only local oil that we have been able to source so far, I am using it for everything, and it does well, tastes fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment