Monday, April 26, 2010

Day116

Apron Days

Yesterday after preserving olives and making Granola, I baked scones, and today I made pumpkin soup with our first pumpkin of the season. I gave 1/2 of the soup made with home grown basil as well as a home grown rockmellon to a friend on the latest food roster. The meal was completed with 1/2 a loaf of home made bread still warm from the oven. I noticed that I feel more attached to my home grown produce, a little less generous. We are not at the abundant stage yet with our garden, and every offering from our patch is precious, even more so this year as we rely on it even more. Still, it is such a beautiful thing to be a part of a community that provides this service to those in need, it is actually a nice feeling to know that someone out there is sharing our meal, and I know how hard it can be when I am stretched to the max physically or emotionally, to get a meal on the table at the end of the day. I have never received meals from a food roster, but I imagine it would be such a blessing. I would like it to be a tradition that continues and expands in our village. Spending so much time in my kitchen makes me think of my mum, and I feel all nurturing and womanly and old fashioned (especially in my apron, with a t-towel on my shoulder). I kind of like it, somehow it feeds something inside of me that yearns to nurture others. I have often thought that food is a love replacement; a way that women often show their love/caring for others. I would love to be in a position where my garden is so abundant, my kitchen so overflowing with food; that I just give food away all the time, and there is always food in the oven, cooking smells wafting out the door, and ample preserves in the fridge and pantry. First I need a cellar!

No comments:

Post a Comment