Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day 105

Willunga Food Finds
I went to the food co-op in Willunga to pick up some local almonds, local sultanas, and Alexandrina Dairy products. I also found some local pepper seeds. We are not finished our current pepper corns yet, but I presume that these will not be available all year, so I bought some to try them out, and to use later. I had been thinking of collecting pepper corns from our EcoVillage pepper tree, and the research about if are edible, that I came up with, was inconclusive. It seems however, that the leaves are very high in essential oils, which have many therapeutic uses. I will report more on this when I harvest some.




I also popped into the Save The Children Opportunity shop to look for a Fowler's Vacola preserving kit. The one that you put on a stove top and heat the jars of fruit/veg in boiling water. They did not have one, but they had the jars, lids, and clips for sale. Margaret Offe, who served me was a wealth of knowledge on preserving. She told me that the replacement rubber rings are available in the Willunga hardware store, and she proceeded to give me a mini seminar on how it is done, including some very handy tips on trouble shooting. I am very grateful, I bought 3 jars, (one of each type) to test them out, and I went to the hardware store to get new rings.







They were selling yabby nets, so of course I had to buy one, and I have put it strategically on Aarod's bed. (A great way to prise him away from the computer - I think) What a perfect school holiday activity, and it fits in beautifully with our quest for local food. The Guy serving me was also very helpful, giving me tips on catching yabbies, and showing me their whole range of preserving equipment. Happy travels in Willunga!









I came away feeling very chuffed with my purchases, and thinking about the invaluable information that had been shared by both experts in the shops. I think about the different experience I might have had purchasing the same items in a large department store. There is such a difference in shopping locally, with a local, knowledgeable person serving you. I feel very blessed to live in this area.

Evil Weevils Strike Again!



The Weevils are smarter than they look!



Weevil Destruction
I might have to resort to deadly sprays or my trees may well die. I am thinking Pyrethrum is the next weapon of choice. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment