Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Day 104

Beer, Pumpkins, Mould, Gomashio, & Weevils


Last week's harvest of self seeded pumpkins drying in the sun before I bring them inside, last year I had about 1/2 of my crop go mouldy, so I am making sure that the skins are completely dry and toughened this time before I bring them inside for storage.




Dehydrated curry
Sadly the leftover dehydrated curry from our camping trip went mouldy. Again I am unsure if this is due to insufficient time in the dehydrator, or my impatience with packing it into bags (moisture due to condensation) - next time I will allow it to cool fully before bagging up.

Weevil Fix

Devastated olive tree

The dedicated Michael has been out hunting every 2 nights and gathering up at least 20 each time! Consequently, the poor tree is nearly dead as they seem intent on eating every last leaf even though there are 3 other trees to chomp on with many more leaves. I begin to wonder if the dying tree sends out messages to the weevils like "I am suffering please put me out of my misery" or "I am dying, eat me while you still can".


Preparations for weevil barriers

 I am really determined to stop these evil weevils from their path of destruction. Cuffs were suggested by the nursery man, (with no directions whatsoever) so here I go with my makeshift cuff barriers.


Lets see how they deal with this strategy

I figure the evil ones will be really pissed off about having to climb up, across, down, then up and across again. Hopefully the smooth surface will impede them, and the multiple changes in direction will confuse them.
I left the insulation cuffs (so annoyingly ineffective) on to hold up the plastic containers. Unfortunately I have to cuff the stakes as well.


So aesthetically pleasing!

Lake Frome "Gomashio"

Gomashio is traditionally used in a Macrobiotic diet, and made with sesame seeds and sea salt, it is a delicious way to reduce sodium while adding a little calcium, magnesium, & iron. I used salt collected at Lake Frome, with sunflower & pumpkin seeds because that is what I have left in the pantry. I figured it would make an interesting nutty flavoured salt as well as making it easier to shake out as the pure salt is slightly moist and tends to clump. (I usually use natural sea salt and sesame seeds).



Lake Frome Salt



Roasted sunflower & pumpkin seeds


crushed in mortar and pestle, it is easier to crush them separately, then combine them, but I was doing a fairly small batch, so I did them together.


The end result is a tasty seasoning for the table. It still is fairly moist, just needs some tapping to encourage it to pour out.

Local Brewery

Sand Rd McLarenVale

Hi There Jeff and Mary,


 Your brewery sounds great! My family are on a 100 mile (160km) diet for 2010.
 We are keen to source some local beer, but it seems that most hops are
imported from Tasmania or NewZealand.
Do you have any beers that have all ingredients sourced locally?
 I realise that sugar is from QLD yeast is from interstate too, but I
guess there is a chance that the main ingredients could be local?
Also do you know of any beers brewed without hops/sugar/yeast?
I am keeping a Blog for this year, "lifewithoutanchovies" about our
experiences and would like to publish your replies on my Blog if you are OK with that?
 Thanks for your help,
Bridget

 Hello Bridget.


Thank you for your interest. Please feel free to come out and visit our
little estabishment for a look when ever you are passing by. Yes our beer
is brewed locally, (we would be comfortably within the 100 miles) but
none of our ingredients unfortunately are from within that radius.
We are an all malt brewery so no sugar is used. Yes, no commercially
viable hops are grown in South Australia let alone McLaren Vale. The
closest hop growing region to here is Bright in Victoria.
Beer by definition under the food standards code must have hops and be
fermented by yeast, beer is after all a food and a very health food at
that when drunk in moderation.

We wish you well in your endeavours for the year and hope that when you
have achieved your goal you can come over for a locally brewed beer.

Regards,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment