Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day 35

Zucchinis take over the world!
Dinner tonight,
zucchini quiche (eggs from our girls) and garden veg, followed by Zucchini, almond & chocolate cake (using Planet Organic cocoa from pantry). I am thinking about what to do with this huge Zucchini. Stuff with savoury mince & roast in oven or BBQ? (Not sure it would fit in our oven). Have a big cook-fest and make zucchini muffins, pancakes, and cake for freezer - these might be a nice treat later in the year when we have forgotten what chocolate tastes like. Does one ever forget the taste of chocolate?

Harvesting
This Zucchini was hiding underneath the plant, I know it is hard to believe, but I actually did not see it, it was holding up the entire plant, and was wedged tightly up against the side of the raised bed. They grow sooo fast! You have to be on top of them or they get like this monster! I hope it is not all dry and crusty inside. I will find out tomorrow. Watch this space!
The almonds are ripe in the village, and everywhere in the region for that matter. I keep thinking about harvesting some, and then find something so much more important to do (or so I tell myself). I wonder when harvesting food will seem as important to me - or more important in fact, than answering emails, cleaning the house, and all of the other things I do daily. In some wierd way it seems like recreation, being outside in the fresh air, communing with nature, chatting to neighbours along the way. I would like to make harvesting a daily part of my life actually, looking at the garden, noticing what is ripening, making a mental note to come and pick later. Watching and noticing what is doing well, what is not and finding out why. Getting in touch with my garden, developing an intimate relationship with my domain. I love eating from my garden, and I get excited when the foods I especially like such as asparagus, basil, rocket, and coriander, are in abundance.

Love's Harvest
I forgot to say that a lovely friend of mine, Amy, dropped off a delicious bowl of nectarines and peaches the other day, it is so special, receiving a gift like that. Knowing the daily effort that has contributed to watering, mulching, weeding, & nurturing the fruit makes it extra special.
This evening one of my favourite neighbours came over to harvest some thyme for his dinner. I just Love that about the village, I offered to give him a cutting for his garden, and then said, "No don't grow it, you can just come here & get it".
There are so many herbs in my garden, more than I could possibly use, it is great when I can share them.

No comments:

Post a Comment