Wednesday, February 3, 2010

day 34

Hungry and surrounded in foreign food
I got caught out today with an impromptu shopping trip to Marion. I was very hungry after a morning yoga class, I could not face asking all of the questions about food so I decided to go to Woolworths supermarket as at least stuff is labelled. After about 1/2 an hour wandering down the isles with an empty basket, I started to dispair about the future of food in South Australia. All I could find was strawberries from Lobethal, cheese & yoghurt from Paris Creek, (Thank God for Paris Creek BD Farm!) and apples from Lenswood. None of which was particularly appealing for a quick lunch on the run. I looked for local nuts in desperation, and found a packet of Woolworths Pistachios, labelled as "Produce from Australia" on reading the label I found that they were actually grown in USA and packaged in Australia. I informed the management of this misdemeanor, and grabbed a Farmer's Union Iced Coffee on the way out, giving myself a hard time about the coffee beans.

Next I tried a fruit and veg store next door, Ahhh.- some SA food. A huge range of Beerenberg products, figs from Pooraka, SA tomatoes, Adelaide mushrooms, Buzz honey, and many other value added products too. I found dried apricots packed in Pooraka which completed my lunch, along with an apple I had in my bag.


Food For ThoughtI was imagining how empty the supermarket shelves would be without the imports, and the huge selection of foods packaged and distributed in NSW and VIC. Where are all of the local foods????
I wonder if consumers started asking for local food more often if it would influence the supermarket shelves?
Maybe the small producers get treated too badly by the supermarkets so they choose to sell to independents. Or they just don't have the quantity of products to fill demand from supermarkets. Then if hospitality businesses need to secure a reliable source of product, they find it easier to buy from large companies which can guarantee a steady supply of products. As consumers, do we need to be less picky about what we eat, get less annoyed when things are no longer on the menu because they are out of season?
If chefs and consumers start demanding local produce, wouldn't that create a huge shift in supply and demand; and flow on to effect distribution practices?
I have so much to learn about how it all works, I am hoping that the Plains to Plate convergence next weekend will shed some light for me.

Being prepared
I remember a time when Aarod was little when I would not leave the house without damp face washers, water, fruit, and snacks. I can see that I will need to get back into the habit of doing that. Michael is making porridge for breakfast now, (we cannot buy Nutragrain or Wheet bix, or any other cereals or museli ) and making his lunches, he is also making bread. Aarod has been banned from school bakery runs just when he was enjoying the extra treat that only the high school children are allowed to access! Things are starting to get real now. The good news is that Michael found a new bottle of Maple syrup in the back of the pantry- oh Yeah!

Fruitful Encounters
Today I was doing some house hunting and one townhouse I looked at had lemons hanging over the fence from the neighbour's tree. I grabbed 3 windfalls from the ground, we have been missing lemons - what a treat!
Also as I walked home from the bus stop this evening I plucked 3 ripe peaches from one of the trees along my path. I appreciate these gifts from nature so much more now, and I am noticing that wherever I go, I identify fruit trees. I actually feel somehow safer, and happier when I can see fruit trees around me - I think I am becoming obsessed with food.

No comments:

Post a Comment