Thursday, August 5, 2010

In the Garden & Central Market

Day 217 Time to get into the garden to make sure we have something local to eat this spring and summer

The first trees for thr future Bush Tucker Orchard Two Desert Limes, courtesy of Maarten Ryder. We are planning to plant a Bush Tucker Orchard on the north of our house.



The rogue mint plants that took over my garden bed and had to be removed.

The tamed mint now safely in a wine barrel with makeshift dividers to stop the competition. The (Laksa) Vietnamese mint at back is the least invasive, the peppermint to the right is also pretty tame, but the mint in the front is a shocker, roots everywhere, thick, and very invasive, choking the other two mints. Hopefully now they will live happily together, right at my back door, in a nice shady spot.

My beautiful trees released from their sun and wind screens - blood orange, avocado in middle, and navel orange. This spot is on the East of the house, nice and shady on a summer afternoon, but the wind funnels through there, so I had the new trees carefully screened with shadecloth for the last two years. It is so nice to see them free. The Loquats popped up in my lemon tree mulch, so I transplanted them into these raised beds, and they are doing wonderfully well. I am planning to use them as root stock for a couple of different varieties of Loquat - which I plan to pick up next year at the Rare Fruit Society's grafting day.

Green Harvest Order Arrives

I just discovered on-line shopping for plants, Green Harvest Organic Gardening Supplies
Roots, seeds, and grafting knife all arrived in a recycled shoe box - I Love on line shopping!
I bought Perenials (they come back every year, or produce all year) - Horseradish, Asparagus, and Rhubarb. And a whole heap of seeds, as well as a grafting kit. I am excited about the possibilities of grafting after the inspiring talk given by Harry Harrison of the Rare Fruit Society. I have some root stock plums that I want to try grafting first. We have a gazillion plums planted on our farm, so I chose a yellow variety, and a plumcot (cross between a plum & apricot)


The Asparagus corms go in


 Horseradish roots get tucked in

Rhubarb cutting goes in


House Of Organics - The Central Market Stall 34-35

I was in town on a Tuesday so I decided to finally go ask the Angelakis Brothers if I can get SA anchovies in SA? The short answer is no - most of them are used as feed for fish farms. So I bought some other local fish instead. I then went to look at the Organic veg stall 35. Here is a pic of their great system for labelling their produce. I love this stall because I don't have to ask about every item, they are so well labelled that I know exactly where they are from, right down to the grower's address! The staff are really great too - the owner was very keen on the Local Diet.

delicious displays

a lot seems to be minimum spray


Lemons - the one thing I can get locally, they can't!


Sweet corn from Queensland


Min-Chem potatoes
                                                                               


Angelakis Brothers ling fish on Salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment