Saturday, June 5, 2010

3 Weeks in Byron Bay

Byron Bay Food 

My first night in Byron, I needed to get supplies for meals for the next week. I had no idea what was local or whether there was a local farmer's market. I had done some research before my arrival, and found a shop called the Green Garage that claimed to have 200 local suppliers and to have a preference for local produce. However, it was 4.30pm, and I did not have transport, so I went off to the local IGA store in Sunrise. There I found the following:

This I later found out was taboo because no wheat is grown locally!


This was very good but of course, the spices with which it is packed, are all imported, I overlooked this in my excitement to buy something local, and felt guilty later.


This was local, delicious and had many health benefits, Yay!


This was interesting, sweet, local....


These were made locally, with probably some imported ingredients, but I did not have the resources to check.





Later I found out about the local farmer's market that happens on a Thursday morning (I am sure there is a very good reason for this....)


So in order to get my weekly local food before my course started at 8 am. I rode my bike to the market at 7am. (My delightful host Cathy at the house where I was renting a room, did drive me there the first week).


Check out the citrus! I did not expect to find citrus growing up there.  I also found a lovely bitter sweet cumquat that had edible skin!


This is my first introduction to a Custard Apple!


It looks so unappealing, but the taste is fabulous! Sweet, good texture, almost like  a honey taste.... Bliss.




A very healthy selection of meats



Fresh squeezed sugar cane juice.


Mushrooms grown in a shipping container - really.


Davidson's Plum jam - local bush tucker


Bitter sweet, tart flavour similar to regular plum jam but a bit less sweet.


Pineapples - a bit big for one person, and I was not sure of the location of the farm. I totally forgot to bring a 160 km radius map, which would have been very handy, as my geography of the area is pretty sketchy.



So sweet, delicious and fresh.


Bananas still on the bunch, such a beautiful sight. I ate a lot.



Most of the stalls were very local, although, like our farmer's market in Willunga, there were a few "guest" stalls from further afield, including one selling apples.


I bought this organic Paw Paw, not realising how unripe it was.


 After a few days, it looked and smelled riper, but it tasted disappointing. My host suggested wrapping it in newspaper to help it ripen more.

She offered me a taste of hers, a different variety of Paw Paw. It looked a much more appealing colour -redder. But alas, to my palate, it was bland and unexciting. Which is unfortunate as Paw Paw grows like a weed in Byron.

I also discovered after speaking with the locals, a store called SANTOS - Organic and natural foods.
I went for a visit and asked what was local. The staff member - to his credit, knew exactly what was local - alas only the rice, honey, and macadamias.





On the second weekend my beloved came up for a visit and we stayed the night in a local B&B. I would not recommend the place - Aaron's luxury Apartments - (squeaky bed & hard mattress with springs palpable through the minimal padding) But I did pick up some sort of local treats - Madura tea - my favourite! and Byron Bay cookies - delish chocolate truffle flavour - made in the industrial estate in Sunrise, but the ingredients were not local.




2 comments:

  1. These were made locally, with probably some imported ingredients, but I did not have the resources to check.Byron Bay Apartments

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete